From Enochlophobia to Freedom!

I am not a very sociable person. Apart from a great reluctance to be the first one to strike up the conversation, I also think I suffer from, to say the least, a mild case of Enochlophobia. Google it if you don't know what it means. So it is clearly established that I am, under no circumstances, a party animal.


But fate plays it's funny games, and I had to attend, of all the parties that could've brightened up Delhi's nightlife, a wedding. And not just any wedding, a Punjabi wedding. I had very cleverly avoided so far all the social obligations I had as an army brat, but none of the excuses in my list, which now had become considerably exhaustive, could nudge me out of this tight spot.


Thus at nine in the evening, when I should've been sprawled on my bed listening to music and playing football manager, I was smiling rather uneasily at people I neither knew or cared to know. I somehow survived the initial pleasantries, and set off on a reconnaissance of the vast lawn where the part was being organised. I located the food stalls, the bar (which served only Coca Cola) and the gazebo under which a band was playing the latest Hindi hits.


And then I saw it. The perfect vantage point. As if illuminated by a heavenly spotlight, it was waiting for me. I walked towards it almost instinctively. The spot was close enough to the food stalls for me get refills without having to march cross country, and far enough for me to eat in silence and anonymity. It was a stone's throw from the bar, so I could have as much Coke as I wanted. Most importantly, it was at the perfect distance and angle from the speakers, which made even a most ordinary rendition of 'Om shanti om' seem almost mellow.


There I stood, drinking my coke and eating the free food, listening to the latest bollywood chartbusters, and all this far from the madding punjabi wedding crowd. Every now and then I would get a refill of the chaat they were serving- I liked the fruit chaat the best. And I lost count of the number of glasses of coke I consumed. The rest of the party was like a colourful blur, what with the Aunties separated from fresh air by three layers of greasy makeup, one layer of glitter, and heavy, bright, shiny, lacy outfits, the uncles all suited and booted, kids zooming around, and 'cool' teenage boys and girls cheering the 'band' on, and requesting encores of songs of the class of 'Om shanti om', 'Dus Bahane' and some some stuff I couldn't recognise.


Much like Sauron's, my eyes saw everything. Aunties discreetly helping themselves to cartloads of Golguppas, ice cream dripping onto the little boys' best pair of shorts, and dejected uncles settling for coke, visibly disappointed, the band moaning on all the while. And then dinner was served. It was rather lacklustre, to say the least. I ate only half of what I had very greedily heaped onto my plate, but my appetite was pretty much satisfied by all that chaat. A few more glasses of coke, and I was done.


I wasn't disappointed by the mediocre food, or the groaning band, or the smell of myriads of cheap colognes permeating the atmosphere, for that night, I had come as close as I had ever come to getting rid of my enochlophobia. The trick was, simply, to look at the crowd objectively, treating it as a single entity. And then you see how the whole thing unfolds before you, like I said earlier, in a blur of colours. Maybe it was the beauty of my spot, or maybe it was all in my head. I'll find out at the next party.

Ironically, I didn't set my all seeing eyes even once on the bride and the groom, not that I knew them anyway.

11 comments :: From Enochlophobia to Freedom!

  1. I can see tat you are jobless!!! anyways KC u should have got into the groove and mingled.After all u have it in you!!

  2. Dude you have good descriptive writing man. Seriously maybe you should do some part time work as a columnist for some newspaper. haha....


    And on this post, I know you meant chaat as in the food but substituting that with the use of Chaat at NITT i got a lot of different meanings and it was funny, especially "I ate only half of what I had very greedily heaped onto my plate, but my appetite was pretty much satisfied by all that chaat." Anyways keep up the writing.

  3. @sid-heart
    i actually dont have it in me, even though i may seem the macho hunk to unknowing eyes... :) and btw is this kuchi?

    @arvind
    thanks man.... and hey, i already work for the pragyan times and the pirate radio :D...

  4. yes dude.. this is kuchi.. never been to my blog... heart-sid-blogging.blogpot.com and lacarte-chennai.blogsspot.com

  5. lol nice read!!!

  6. @beautiful mind
    long time no hear... and no post? interest run over by the derailed trams?

  7. lol just posted and saw ur comment...do u remain glued to the comp??? btw... whats this new blog header?? care to explain??

  8. glued is an understatement....
    anyways, the header refers to a beatles song, google it if you want, u'll get a lot of interesting and relevant info...

  9. hello everyone. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been looking allowing for regarding that particular brand. The prices seeking the boots were around 350 bucks everwhere. But for all I bring about this area selling them for half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase those. what can you say about it?

  10. Hello. And Bye.

  11. good afternoon dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching for that exact make. The prices as regards the sneakers are around 320 bucks on every site. But definitively I found this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order them. what do you think?